April - NaPoWriMo - 29

There’s a column at the edge of the newspaper
Where the news it quite over the edge
And entertainment truly wedges
More than a foot in the door. They hedge it in
With wider columns and pictures that hide it away
But each day I open the page and search inside
Eager to read the strangeness it says and the curious view
That it gives to my world. The paper’s unfurled
Stretched over dishes and plates on the table. I’ve wedged
That column at the edge between cereal and juice
’cause it wakes me up more pleasantly than the news.

Written for ReadWritePoem #29 front page news

Comments

Marianne said…
Great write! Your last line is perfect, "I’ve wedged That column at the edge between cereal and juice
’cause it wakes me up more pleasantly than the news." I'd much rather get my news from the paper than from TV. Reading the paper is so much more refined and cozy. TV blares the news and then the commercials shout.

Popular posts from this blog

Missed Connections

Easter Sunday Prayer

Holy Saturday Prayer